Thursday, January 21, 2021

Snippets

A couple of years ago now, maybe, a bit of coffee got spilt on the back of my DSLR camera.  It was in the spot where the LCD screen folds into, and as far as I could see, that area was sealed, so I didn't think it was a big deal.  But it was, and my camera died.  

Lately I've been using my phone camera.  My phone is a cheap one, so some pictures don't always come out well.  I have been trying some pictures on the manual setting, and sometimes I can get some decent ones.  
 
These are from our morning walk one day earlier in the week.  We have been lucky just lately, with no rain and sunshine.  This picture doesn't do the scene justice, but all those little blobs of moss on an old apple tree were just glowing emerald with the sun shining through them.



Ferns and moss about 6' up on a Big Leaf Maple.



This spot on our trail is called 'At the maples'.  A clump of maples all growing from the same spot



I love the bokeh I got with this moss photo.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week I picked up an ironing board for 50 cents at the thrift store.  We took the legs off and I used double sided tape to stick some rubber mats on it.  A ramp for the car.  It weighs nothing and just fits in the trunk.  It will mostly be used for Luna getting in the car.  She can get out okay, but some days can't get in well.  She has always been weird about getting in.  She stands so far back and takes this flying leap, that lately results in slamming her belly into the edge of the seat.  She doesn't like to be lifted, and sits down or backs away.  Jake just waits to be lifted in and out, but he could use the ramp too.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We have been meeting Meredith most weekends for a walk.  She hasn't been coming over since the Covid restrictions were tightened.  Last Sunday we walked around a wetlands not far from where we used to live.  The parking lot was almost full and there seemed to be loads of people heading off around the trail.  The trail was wide open with room to get well out of the way when other dogs were coming.  Luna was a good girl, distance and liver treats made for a good dog.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On our usual afternoon walk around the block, we were really noticing the longer days.  We can start at 4:30 now and still get home before dark.  Mist rising from the field.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On New Years Eve the tree guys were working in our neighbourhood.  I asked them if they would dump their loads at our place.  We put a big tarp down at the top of the driveway and they backed up and dumped two loads.  Yee Ha!!


Every morning on our way out to the back bush we each push a wheelbarrow's worth out to the garden.  I'm covering up a low area with cardboard, and then a few inches of wood chips on top.  The cardboard is to stop the grass from growing through the chips.  It will rot away over the summer.  It's the area where I'm planning on having the squash vines sprawl.  On the right where you see the thin white lines on the ground, well that's a long bed that has been spread with chicken manure and then mulched with leaves, and some old electronet fencing laid on top to stop the leaves from blowing away.  That's where I'll plant the squash this summer, and then try to direct all the vines over the wood chips.  Wish me luck!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bella melted!
I don't talk about Bella much, but I couldn't resist these pictures.  We've never seen her lay like this before!  Talk about 'Does this position make me look fat?' 
Yes Bella, yes it does!



 She is not a small cat and her weight is perfect for her size.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


And last but not least, another day this week when we had a beautiful blue sky and clouds afternoon.



These last four were when we did the late afternoon walk, and make it appear darker than it really was.





 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

  1. Haven't we just had some of the nicest weather for January?
    I didn't know you had a cat. Bella is quite a good sized one too.
    I had no idea what Bohkeh meant and had to look it up. How did we manage before google!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been lovely. Such a nice change after all that rain and grey skies. I spent 5 hours outside today, it was so nice.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that pile of mulch! I could use a dump-truck load! :) All your pictures are good. I love Bella. She sure is pretty. I've noticed the days are getting longer too. I Usually close the chicken house door at 5:30...today it was 6:00 and still light enough that I could see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo makes that pile of chips look smaller than it is. I'd say it's a dump truck load!

      Delete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!