Friday, January 22, 2016

A Rainbow at the End of the Storm

It was a mixed up weather day today.  When I left home this morning, it was a torrential downpour.  As I headed west I could see it getting brighter, and by the time I reached South Surrey it had started to clear up. Later on the sun came out and the roads dried, and it was a nice drive home.  It took longer to clear up here, and the roads hadn't dried, but it was decent enough.  We took the dogs for a walk around the block about 3pm, and wouldn't you know it, that one leftover water filled cloud decided to dump on us as we were half way round.  By the time we were heading up the last little hill to home, the sun was coming out again.



And look, there must be a pot of gold in our back yard! The rainbow disappears behind our roof.



And the house kitty corner to us might have a pot of gold on their property too!

        
Maybe it is a good sign. 
 I spent a few hours today sat at my mother's bed side in the care home.  I got a phone call at 5:45 this morning to tell that she wasn't doing well.  She was in a lot of pain, had refused oral pain meds, so had, on the advice of the on-call doctor,  received a shot of morphine.  She was also receiving oxygen.  She seemed to recognize me, cracked one eye open and gave the smallest of nods when I told her I was there, but otherwise was not responsive.  We've had a couple of incidents in the past year that made us think her time was up.  She surprised us all.  This is worse.  
For the most part she seemed to be comfortable while I was there, got no better or worse. 
Only time will tell.


The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, it's 6 o'clock now and I hear the relentless rain on the skylight. Makes me so glad to be indoors!

    Your mom must be tired of struggling. I know that my own mom got to the point of crying in the mornings because she didn't want to face another day empty of almost everything except pain. My sincerest wish for your mom ( and for you) is peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are beautiful. Hope you find that pot of gold behind your house. I am so sorry about your mom. It must have been a comfort to her to know you were there. I love those words by Wendell Berry. Glad you posted that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I am so sorry that your mother is sick. The struggle just becomes too great. I remember my dad at the end. Way too long in a bed in the nursing home. I LOVE the poem you shared.
    Thinking of you,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you got wet in your walk but hope you enjoyed the exercise anyway. Praying for your dear mom. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very calming poem. Prayers of comfort and peace for your mother.
    Hope you find that pot of gold!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!