Thursday, April 4, 2013

Painted Furniture

Here's a couple of other furniture bits that I've painted lately.  This old kitchen chair had been painted white, but that was a bit stark for the place I wanted to use it.  It was in great shape though, no loose legs or rails.  $2.50 at MCC Furniture and More thrift store.

IMG_5260

I wanted a small chair in the bedroom to put my clothes on.  Up 'til now I've been piling them on a bench at the end of the bed.  The pile was getting pretty deep, because the size of the bench enabled me to let stuff accumulate.   We make jokes around here about horizontal surfaces....The rule now is that my clothes have to be on the chair.  We are constantly changing clothes, or at least it seems that way some days.  And the jeans or shorts that I wear around the farm don't get washed the minute they get dirty.  I just put them on again the next day and add another layer of dirt.  The chair had to be small, because really there wasn't much room to put anything else in the bedroom.   It will go on the wall by the bottom corner of my side of the bed, just far enough back that there is room to swing the closet door open, and leave just enough room to get past it down the side of the bed.  I always wonder when I see the photos of wonderful looking bedrooms, just where are the clothes that have been worn but don't need washing yet?  I can put clothes on in the morning for being outside here, then have to change them to go out to the store, then change into something else to do a run, then change back to farmy clothes, but maybe something cooler than I had on before.
Right here next to the laundry hamper it would be blocking a door, and that's where Luna's bed is anyway.


IMG_5318


It's got some funky looking flowers on the seat, but most of the time those won't be visible under the clothes.  The red matches the laundry hamper

IMG_5319

It's got a nice rail along the back to drape stuff over it.  Certain things I will put back in the closet, but other things I want to wear them until they need washing.  Maybe I don't do laundry enough?

IMG_5320

While I had that greyish green paint going, well it started out quite a dark green and I played around to lighten it up, I painted this old magazine table at the same time.  It's a really rough piece, cut out of a plank, so the top has warped.  None of the saw cuts were sanded, the routed edge was rough.  One of the nails through the end piece into the side had totally missed it's mark.  I banged it out, pushed the side in, and hammered the nail back into place.  I left all the saw ridges, holes, dings and  cracks.  That's part of it's charm.  It cost me $7.50 at the same store.

IMG_5263

I played around with a bit of a white glaze on the top edge.

IMG_5381

Added a Dollar Store stencil on the sides and top out of a darker version of the main colour.

IMG_5376

IMG_5377

IMG_5375

I really like it, but don't actually have a good place to put it.  I might try to sell it.  Maybe I can take it to the farmers market.  I have the booth with the most variety of stuff already, why not add something else totally different?

IMG_5380



IMG_5374

10 comments:

  1. Lovely projects they turned out so nice! We have a coat rack in the bedroom that is where clothes get put if we want to wear them again. I have several coat racks throughout the house..they come in real handy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have a coat rack in the bedroom before we did the closets. Now there isn't room. The previous one ended up so overloaded it broke:( We do have some hooks behind the bedroom door. Also there is room to put hooks in the old closet behind that white door in the second picture, but it's just not convenient to hang the clothes in there. It's all about the convenience:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your painting projects. The flowers on the chair are so cute. I like how one of them drapes over the edge. I like to drape and pile my clothes on the furature too. Laundry on the weekends for me, too busy during the week, till summer vaction anyhow.
    Thanks for visiting the Birthday Blog! Hope you had a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd put it in the bathroom. Magazines and place to put your coffee :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are getting some spam. I just wanted to say that I chuckle every time I open your blog when I see the dog with the rock in its mouth. Also love your creativity with furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of them seem to be able to sneak through, but I'm back home now so I'm clearing them off.

      Delete
  6. You did a great job, both pieces look lovely...and there is always a spot somewhere.

    Are you going to the WR market tomorrow? Does it start already?

    I guess the Vernon markets start here soon too.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do an egg run to White Rock every couple of weeks, and also my mother is in a care home in the area.
      The White Rock Farmers market doesn't start until the last Sunday of May.

      Delete
  7. I have been exploring for a little for any high quality
    articles or blog posts on this kind of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this site.
    Studying this information So i’m satisfied to show that I have a
    very good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
    I so much for sure will make certain to do not disregard this website
    and provides it a look on a continuing basis.

    My webpage - aapn.org

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!