Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Blooming and Growing

(My apologies to anyone still under a blanket of snow.  Don't want it to feel like rubbing salt in a wound)

Mother nature is going wild now.  There is green everywhere.  Yellow too.  The dandelions are in full bloom.  First choice of grazing sheep, and Pride likes them too.
IMG_5518


Spring hasn't been early for us.  The  Bartlett pear tree is finally blooming, and so is the cherry tree (although we don't get any fruit off it, but the birds do).  The plum trees also are in full bloom.

IMG_5511

IMG_5510

Grape hyacinths and Forget-me-nots.

IMG_5512

Ornamental cherry with regular cherry in the background.

IMG_5513


These tulips are just about done, although we do have some that haven't bloomed yet.  The weeds are going wild.

IMG_5514


The greenhouse is full of seedlings.  Kales, cabbages and broccoli.  Tomato plants in the one gallon pots.

IMG_5515


Zucchini and lemon cucumber seedlings still on the hot mat, which is an old waterbed heater.  I have two, and had better look after them, as I don't seem to see them at garage sales and in thrift stores any more.

IMG_5522

I've put some of them outside to harden off.  Poor things, it wasn't gradual as it should be.  I've forgotten to pick them up and put them back in the green house at night.

IMG_5520


Carrots finally coming up, with garlic in the background

IMG_5523


My best success story this spring.  I got lazy and didn't move the pea fencing.  Usually my first planting of peas isn't totally successful.  I lose a lot to birds, and then the slugs of course.  This year I planted them under some narrow strips of gauzy fabric, like stuff that sheer drapes would be made out of .

IMG_5516

I clothes pegged the strips together, and to the fencing, and germination and survival has been almost 100%.  I think as the peas get taller, I'll move the fabric up a bit, and it will hang down the outside of them and help lean them in towards the fence so that they wrap their little tendrils around  it.  Usually I have to help them out, but I think my idea will work like a charm.

IMG_5519

This morning I finally got some potatoes planted, only about a month and a half later than I like.

And a note about the Sun Run.  There was a lady in the 80-84 year old category that did the 10 K a minute faster than me.  Is that motivation or what?
Or how about the lady in the 95-99 year old category (yes, there were two participants in that division).  They both finished, the fastest one in 1 hour and 35 minutes.  I find that mind boggling.  

Planning on going out for a run after supper tonight.  I've got a lot to live up to.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful spring ! Lovely photos ! We started off slow with spring but all is beginning to catch up now ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how we love all the spring flowers!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Innovative idea with the pea plants! You have spring popping up all over! DO NOT feel guilty..it gives me a little hope! How awesome is that..the aged runners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't take time to comment, too busy packing to move to your part of the world. We got a mini-blizzard last night! Your photos are a balm. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! You've got me curious, which part?

      Delete
  5. West central Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, something is mixed up. I'm in southwestern British Columbia, and I thought you were moving this way:)?

      Delete
  6. OK, apologies accepted! Actually I love looking at all your wonderful photos of SPRING! It gives me hope and makes me smile! I have planted Dalias indoors to give them a big head start, they are a foot tall already. More Orchids coming into bloom, this will tide me over as the snow melts, and it is melting. The snow is very wet and heavy now and water is filling all the gutters. Haven't worn a coat for two days now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!