Saturday, October 8, 2011

An Alien in the Backyard.

There's something weird out there!


Luna isn't quite sure about it.
Is that thing edible/playable/herdable?


This is the first year I've tried to grow kohlrabi.  I'm not sure if I've actually ever eaten any before.  The experiment wasn't a total success.  To start with they are planted in the wrong spot.  The oak tree to the southeast casts shade on the plants for too many hours. Way too many plants in too small of an area.  I hate to thin seedlings.  Always think I'm going to do it, and never do.  So we have loads of green kohlrabi plants, but not many that have 'fattened' up.  Some of the plants went to seed and have long thin seed pods hanging like skinny, miniature pea pods.  A couple of the plants got quite tall and didn't bulge, but have lovely, healthy, curly leaves on them.  You can see them in the first photo. There are some smaller bulges like the one below.  From what I've read, that is the size they should be eaten .  The whopper above is apparently going to be 'woody'.  I'm getting such a kick out of just looking at it that I'm in no rush to cut it up and find out.


2 comments:

  1. what the heck!! That thing is a monster for sure
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have liked kohlrabi ever since I was a little kid. We used to have small veggie stand near our home (in communist Poland) & I remember asking my mom to get it for me when it was in season....

    I haven't had any this year so thx for reminding me of this taste of childhood.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!