Saturday, April 11, 2020

Moss and Other Woodsy Tales


Months ago now, I played around with a little camera, taking some moss pictures.  It is a fascinating little world




It was raining that day, or had rained, so of course there are the rain drop pictures


A rustic wreath


Ferns growing 8 feet up the tree.


And then some more recent photos, that are quickly becoming dated.  
My annual 'deer skull killed by a cougar/trillium' photo


Indian Plum or Osoberry.  The fruit look like tiny little plums.  They are edible, but not particularly tasty.  I tried to make jelly one year, but wasn't successful.

Bleeding Hearts.  We are large areas covered in them, so pretty this time of the year.

Skunk Cabbage in our little seasonal creek


I've read that bears love them.

Salmonberry

As well the False Lily of the Valley covers large swaths

Old dogs, old logs

Two old dogs😉

Later we went back out to cut that log up for firewood.  It had fallen down in to the swamp.  I do a lot of things, but chain sawing is not one of them.  I carry and split.  I got my boots stuck in that muck and more than once I had to drop my load to save myself!


We were dodging rain showers that day, and were successful.  But could see a good one to the north as we were heading back to the house.

A tree on the ground always looks more than logs on the trailer, which look more than the split wood stacked.  Every bit helps though!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



These logs are a reflective of the times, don't you think?  Holes in our hearts.....

8 comments:

  1. You got some amazing photos, Karen. Who knew moss was so beautiful. BTW, do you know any surefire way of ridding my flowerbeds of that wild Bleeding Heart? It's taking over and since a lot of my plants are perennial I can't just dig the whole area up. I didn't even plant that bleeding heart in the first place. Must have been a bird's 'gift'?

    Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rainy moss photos! You have spring! Good to see the old dogs:) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! These photos are So wonderful!! I remember as a kid laying on the ground and imagining myself very tiny wandering through the moss trees.. Moss and swamps are my favorite things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the reminder! As a child, I used to make little fairy type gardens with the moss, long before they were a 'thing'.

      Delete
  4. The yellow of the Skunk cabbage is so bright and beautiful for a flower with such a sad name. Any relation to its smell? Dropping by during lock down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Skunk cabbage does have a skunky smell. I'm sorry that so many of the pictures are missing at the beginning of the blog. I don't know what happened to them. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
    2. Ok, that was weird. Yesterday the first 10 or so pictures were missing. Today I see them back! Very strange.

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful post. Sorry I'm so late seeing it. Actually, I came looking for you. Your blog was always one of my favorites. Time flies, doesn't it? Have a happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!