Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hot Date

Unfortunately not the kind of date the title might suggest, even though it didn't happen until after 10 this evening.  The kind that involves a lot of hot fruit and sugar and jars and a canning pot.

Every other Sunday I take eggs out to White Rock for some of our market customers.  This time I happened to mention to them that if they needed jam, they could let me know, but I had a limited selection.  I've avoided making jam since the last market in December, and I was in no rush to get back into it. I did have to break down this week though and make a case (12 pint or 500ml jars) of raspberry jam.  I have a customer who buys raspberry jam by the case.  He says his 90+ year old dad lives on the stuff.  Anyway, he is running out, so I had to make a couple of batches this week to keep the old fellow happy.

I figured I might get one or two requests from my egg customers, but I sadly underestimated that.  Everyone wanted blackberry. Weird. I had requests for 10 jars of it.  I had one jar in stock.  So I convinced myself that since I had all those blackberries in the freezer (remember those 60 buckets we picked?), I might as well just make some.  So two batches of blackberry tonight, and another one of raspberry for good measure.  I was just cooking, literally.  I had my pant legs rolled up and sleeves pushed up.  I was hot!  Anyway, all done.  The jars have all sealed, and I'll have to wait until morning to see if they've set. Fingers crossed.

6 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for you. That's alot of JAM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are jammin over there, BOL
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I look at Luna following the chickens in your header a HUGE grin comes across my face. :0). I love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you are busy! Looks like a good bunch of jam to me!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments, so don't be shy!